New To The District?

If you moved from another district

You’ll need a Palo Alto address before you can talk to someone in the district about your IEP. If you had an IEP in another district, you’ll work with the PAUSD Special Education Department.

PAUSD tries to keep students at their neighborhood school, but depending on your child’s disability or learning difference and what is written in their IEP, there is a chance that they will be recommended to attend a school that is not your neighborhood school, where appropriate services can be offered.


If you moved from overseas

The special education system in other parts of the world can be very different than the system in the US. If your child has a disability or learning difference, you will need to learn about the special education system in the US. Please read our Navigating Special Education section. You may also want to come to one of our events to meet other families.


If you need language help

If you don’t speak English as a first language, and need help accessing school services and programs, you can ask for help from one of the district’s Family Engagement Specialists.

PAUSD Family Engagement Specialists