PAUSD Staff & Programs

If you need language help

If you don’t speak English as a first language, and need help accessing school services and programs, you can ask for help from one of the district’s Student and Family Engagement (SaFE) Specialists. PAUSD Student and Family Engagement (SaFE)

PAUSD Special Education Department Staff​

If your student is registered with PAUSD and you have questions about our Special Education programs, please start a Let’s Talk dialogue or call 650-833-4260. PAUSD Special Education team and information, please visit here.

504 Plan Contacts

Your primary and first point of contact is someone at your school. In elementary and middle schools, the 504 leads are the school psychologists. In high school, it’s the vice principal. This page on the PAUSD website lists the contacts at each school.

School-Based Contacts

School-based staff are the ones that work the most directly with students. For contact information, go to your school website. Here is an overview of the people you should look for.


All Elementary Schools have a School Psychologist, Speech and Language Specialist, Reading Specialist and a Resource Specialist.  Go to your school’s website to find names and contact information for those people. Barron Park, Briones, Escondido, Walter Hays and Ohlone have Study Centers/Special Academic Instruction Classrooms. Please talk with your case manager about the possibilities.

Middle School

All Middle Schools have a Resource Program/ Study Skills, Speech and Language, Academic Communication/Social Skills Class, Educationally Related Mental Health Services (EMRH) and the Reading 180 reading intervention program. There are classes with co teaching, specialized math instruction, but these vary every year.   Greene, Fletcher and JLS have a Futures program which resembles a Special Day Class. In these programs there are reading and math classes and there is some emphasis on vocational training.  The Futures programs run a smoothie business with the help of the students. Greene also has a Social Cognitive Class and a Therapeutic Support Class. See the district FUTURES brochure  for more info. Please talk with your case manager about the options.

High School

For staff contact info go to the websites for the Paly Special Ed dept and the Gunn Special Ed dept.  All classes available to high school students are listed in the course catalog on the school’s websites. In high school the Futures program emphasis is mostly on vocational training and life skills. FUTURES brochure  Both high schools also have Read 180 programs, Academic Communications & Study Skills classes, and a number of co-taught classes. Talk with your case manager about the options.

Special Education Information and Brochures from PAUSD

Student and Family Engagement Specialist Program (SaFE)

From the PAUSD website: “The Student and Family Engagement Specialists serve as the link between the school, parents, and community. They will develop and foster community collaborations, as well as provide referrals to community-based services for families. Also, they will expand opportunities to families for continued learning, voluntary community service, and civic participation. They will guide parents to understand the educational system so they can become better advocates for their children’s education and empower parents to become decision-makers. In addition, they will provide supports to schools in working on student success goals to help student and families achieve success.” PAUSD page with more information

PAUSD Assistive Technology
Brian Gadus The Palo Alto Technology Collaboration Hub (PATCH)
If you moved from another district or from overseas

You’ll need a Palo Alto address before you can talk to someone in the district about your IEP. If you had an IEP in another district, you’ll work with the PAUSD Special Education Department.

PAUSD tries to keep students at their neighborhood school, but depending on your child’s disability or learning difference and what is written in their IEP, there is a chance that they will be recommended to attend a school that is not your neighborhood school, where appropriate services can be offered.
The special education system in other parts of the world can be very different than the system in the US. If your child has a disability or learning difference, you will need to learn about the special education system in the US. Please read our Navigating Special Education section. You may also want to come to one of our events to meet other families.